Two-Year Sacramental Preparation
Prince of Peace honors the Archdiocesan directive regarding Sacramental Preparation. This directive exhorts that a person is best-served by a two-year preparatory period for First Holy Communion.
Prince of Peace Parish Guidelines for Reception of 1st Reconciliation and 1st Eucharist
1. Parent(s) or guardian(s) must be registered members of Prince of Peace Parish.
2. Children must participate in religious education classes or attend Prince of Peace Catholic School for at least one year prior to beginning sacramental preparation.
3. At least one parent or guardian (both School and SOR families) must attend the fall 1st Reconciliation Parent Meeting and the spring 1st Holy Communion Parent Meeting.
4. At least one parent or guardian (both School and SOR families) must attend the fall First Reconciliation Retreat and the spring 1st Holy Communion Retreat with their child.
5. At least one Elementary School of Religion (SOR) parent or guardian must attend each Elementary SOR event with their child.
6. Parent(s) or guardian(s) (both School and SOR families) must work with the child at home and help the child to memorize their prayers.
7. No sacraments will be forced upon or refused to those suitably prepared for them. If a parent, the Director of Children’s Ministry, or pastor determines that a child is not ready, they will be invited again each year to celebrate the sacrament, and suitable preparation will be provided.
8. The reception of the sacraments of First Reconciliation and First Eucharist are an important part of your child’s initiation into the Catholic Church. They are beautiful expressions of faith, and not to be entered into routinely. Your involvement as a parent or guardian is vital in helping prepare your child to receive these sacraments and in continuing your child's learning about their faith and drawing ever closer to Christ.
Catholic School Students
Students attending Catholic schools receive their religious education at school.
However, Sacraments are received with one’s home parish.
Attendance at parent meetings and retreats is required during sacramental years for Catholic school students to receive their sacraments.
Year 1 of Sacramental Preparation (Most Commonly 1st Grade)
Those Elementary SOR Children Making their Sacraments in the Next (the 2020-2021) School Year
Elementary SOR students in Year 1 of Sacramental Prep attend two Bible Boot Camp retreats with their parents. Attending children receive the St. Mary's Press Catholic Children's Bible and tools to initiate and support their lifelong relationship with God through His Word in Sacred Scripture. This will be the Bible your children can make their own until they enter the 7th Grade and receive their Youth Bible to continue their relationship with God through His Sacred Scripture.
1st Year of Sacramental Preparation Calendar (Pending)
Important Mandatory Dates for Families of Those Elementary SOR Children in Year 1 of Sacramental Preparation
Year 2 of Sacramental Preparation (Most Commonly 2nd Grade)
Those Elementary SOR Children Making their Sacraments This 2019-2020 School Year
In the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas, First Reconciliation and then First Holy Communion commonly take place during the 2nd Grade year. At Prince of Peace, we provide formal preparation in addition to what our children are receiving, either at POP School or through the School of Religion (SOR).
Elementary SOR children who attended 1st Grade religious education last year and are now in 2nd Grade SOR, as well as POP School 2nd Graders, make their First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion in their 2nd Grade year.
Prince of Peace celebrates the Sacrament of Reconciliation in the first half of the school year and the Sacrament of the Eucharist in the second half of the 2nd Grade year. One cannot worthily receive the Sacrament of the Eucharist without the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
In the fall, School and SOR parents attend a parent meeting. They then participate in the First Reconciliation Retreat with their children. Prepared, each child makes his/her First Reconciliation.
In the spring, School and SOR parents again attend an informational preparatory meeting. They then attend the First Communion Retreat with their children. Parents and children go to Confession again on their own schedule. Fully prepared, their child makes his/her First Communion. Every Catholic who has made his/her First Holy Communion should continue to go to Confession regularly. Children form this habit within their family life.
Enjoy this beautiful season with your child, and help him/her grow into a vibrant, healthy, sacramental life of frequent Confession and reception of the Eucharist. Religious formation starts at home, must be fostered at home, and is lifelong. The Prince of Peace Christian Formation team will support you in this endeavor to draw your children ever nearer to Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
- 2nd Year of Sacramental Preparation Calendar (Pending)
Important Mandatory Dates for Prince of Peace Children in Year 2 of Sacramental Preparation (Pending)
Sacramental Preparation for Children With Special Needs
Sacramental Preparation for Older Children
Children in the 3rd-6th Grade who have yet to make their sacraments and desire to do so enjoy their Elementary SOR Classes with their peers. They also work through their Home Lessons. They then attend a monthly Rite of Christian Initiation for Children (RCIC) class during the Wednesday session with their parents.
For those children in the 3rd-6th Grade preparing to receive the sacraments of Baptism, First Reconciliation, and/or First Communion, contact the Christian Formation Office (CFO) at (913) 829-1147 for details.
Children in the 7th-12th Grade desiring to make their sacraments should contact the Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministry.
Anyone older than high school-age attends RCIA and should contact the Coordinator of Adult Faith Formation.
Resources to Help Your Child Understand the Sacrament of Reconciliation
- That Catholic Couple (TCC): Our Secret Weapon For Confession
- USCCB Examinations of Conscience as featured in the TCC Video
- My Side of the Confessional: What Is It Like for a Priest? by Fr. Mike Schmitz
- 5 Ways to Prepare Your Child For First Reconciliation
- Busted Halo Sacraments 101: Penance (why we confess)
- Confession 101 - What is it & how it's done - part one
- Confession 101 - What is it & how to do it - part two
- Sacrament Of Reconciliation: Explained
- Stations of the Cross Video
- The Crucifix
- Learning the Sign of the Cross
- 4 Tips To Learn Sign of Cross
Resources to Help Your Child Understand Holy Communion
- Formed Videos (required your create and log into your Formed account)'
- Understanding the Mass
- Sacraments 101: Eucharist (how we receive) - by Busted Halo
Informative Videos about Aspects of a Catholic Church
- Baptismal Font
- Saints & Stained Glass
- the Sanctuary
- Presider's Chair
- Altar Candles
Additional Information for First Holy Communion
Prince of Peace respects the institutions of family and parish. Religious education, including sacramental preparation, should take place primarily within one's family, under the umbrella of one's home parish.
- Shannon Cardaronella
Director of Children's Ministry